Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rangers Lose 8-2 While I Lose My Mind

I hate umpires. Okay, I won't discriminate against them all but the ones that took part in the Texas Rangers vs. Arizona Diamondbacks game last night were a complete fail. There were many times during the game I found myself wanting to just go to bed because I couldn't take it.

Let me begin by saying A TIME OUT MEANS A BREAK IN THE PLAY. Definition: a pause from doing something. Hmm..? So here's what happened, Rangers' catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia called a time out after a pitch. The ump then put his hand up to signal this time out. Then Salty made a bad throw back to the pitcher (very unlike him) during the time out. The ball rolled into center field because Jason Jennings (pitcher) couldn't catch the stupid ball, or pitch for that matter but that's a whole different story. The guy at third (it's too painful to type his name) starts running home. Hello?! There was a time out! So Salty then throws his hands in the air because he's a little confused at this point, as was I. The run was allowed, which didn't make ANY sense. My guess, the ump suffers from short term memory loss. Manager Ron Washington then comes out to speak with the umpire to argue this call. Salty argues, Washington argues, but the play stands. I can't wait til the commissioner of the MLB takes a look at it; hopefully he's better than the NHL's.

Other notable mistakes they made include players on the Rangers that were safe making it to first base. This including Elvis Andrus and Marlon Byrd to name a couple. Tie goes to runners, right? Not last night. Apparently they decided to change all the rules. I mean, yeah Texas lost 8-2 and probably wouldn't have won even if the right calls were made, but it's the fact that they were called wrong in the first place.

Tonight they play again, in the second game of the series. The Rangers are currently on a five game losing streak, with their offense having disappeared. The Diamondbacks' have won one game after being swept by Seattle.

4 comments:

  1. I watched the replay of this and the homeplate umpire clearly lost his mind. This should have been reviewed and the homerun should not have been granted. The pitcher should not have this against his ERA.

    Sometimes I wonder about the things that are allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. This needs to be reviewed by the MLB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I wish I had seen that last night. I don't know all of basebal's rules, but is a timeout maybe cancelled if the ball comes back into play? Which would have been what happened after the wild throw that landed out in the field. Just an idea. If not, then bad call!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The time out definitely still stands because all Saltalamacchia did was throw the ball back to the pitcher, so that doesn't erase the time out. Oh well, the umps sucked.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you checking out my blog. I try to respond to all comments :)