Monday, June 15, 2009

Jesus Saves, But So Does Wilson


I've been told that I am the type of sports fan who doesn't have the most well-known athletes listed as my favorite. I like to have a complete different opinion than every other fan, which makes me so unconventional. The underrated players who work the hardest and go unnoticed are the ones that attract my attention. On the Texas Rangers, and in Major League Baseball my favorite pitcher is a closing pitcher who I feel doesn't get enough attention. He's a lefty named C.J. Wilson.

Born and raised in California, he now has a new home in Texas where he dedicates himself to baseball. The Rangers are the only major league team he's suited up for, and has been with them since the 2005 season. He was drafted and signed in 2001, but made his debut June 10th, 2005. Since being with the team, he has never made playoffs therefore has no post-season stats.

With 212 career games under his belt, he has recorded 44 saves in the 52 save opportunities he has had. Each season his earned runs average (ERA) is usually pretty good, and his overall career ERA is 4.64. So far in this 2009 season he has played in 28 games with three wins and three losses, has six saves in seven opportunities, with an ERA of 3.12.

Enough with numbered stats though. His style of pitching and the hard work he puts into his game, is even more impressive. He pitches aggressively and likes to try and get his batters to chase. He challenges them with his strong sliders *corrected by c.j. wilson* and change-up. The Rangers aren't exactly known for their "great" pitching, but Wilson is definitely one that the organization and fans can say is a success.

Like any player in any sport, he has his downfalls. Right-handed hitters get hits and homeruns off of him too easily, but this is something that can be worked on and nothing to get worked up about. Wilson can usually be depended on to close games in tight situations, and get the job done. I know his job is as a relieving pitcher, but I think with some work he could be a starter. He may not want to be a starter, who knows, but I would love to be able to watch him for than just an inning or two every few games.

Wilson says he can throw a type of pitch called the “gyro ball” which is Japanese. His teammates don’t seem to think it exists but according to Wilson, if you can throw it- you can say it exists. He seems to be a very laid-back person but on the mound (just like about every other pitcher) he is intense and has a temper. I don’t think he’d throw a fit if he didn’t save the game, but he definitely would find out what went wrong to do whatever he could to fix it next time. I still feel as though Wilson is underrated, as I’ve mentioned, but I think when the Rangers have bandwagon fans jump on because of a pretty successful season so far, they will see the beauty in him just like I do.

4 comments:

  1. Careful, you just might appreciate baseball the same way I do. I always love the underdog.. the Youks of the game...those who show up, give there all and play for the love of the game. Great article and thanks for bringing CJ to our attention

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome :) CJ needs more credit, and I'm more than willing to give it to him.

    go rangers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article Hailey, you write very well. I'll believe his gyro when I see it! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! haha he says he's thrown it in a game before and that he's been using it sparingly for three years so I guess you just have to watch out for it :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you checking out my blog. I try to respond to all comments :)