Monday, June 1, 2009

First Place?

That’s right. The Texas Rangers are in first place in the American League, and second in the league overall behind the Los Angeles Dodgers. How did this happen? Well apparently one season can make a big difference. I don’t know about other Rangers fans, but being from Boston, most people tell me that Texas is awful and then go off comparing them to the beloved Red Sox.

Yeah, yeah so they don’t have the “best” pitching in the league, but they have the offense to make up for it. I will actually give their pitching some credit, because for the most part they haven’t given up 15 runs a game like they did last year. When I say offense, I mean this team hits homeruns like it’s nothing. They have at least one player in every category for league leaders.

Starting with their all-star second baseman, Ian Kinsler, I’d like to point out that he’s having an amazing season so far. He’s in the top ten for Runs Batted In, Runs, Stolen Bases, and Home Runs. Kinsler is the type of player who can throw the team on his back and carry them when needed. The 2008 All Star Game was his first, also there was teammate Josh Hamilton. Hamilton is another power hitter, but his season has been brought down a lot by injury. It still hasn’t stopped him from making a difference though. The Rangers themselves take up four spots in the top ten for most home runs hit this season with Nelson Cruz (14), Ian Kinsler (13), Hank Blalock (12), and Chris Davis (12).

Texas has a record of 30-20, playing at .600 baseball. At home, they have a record of 18-9. As they earn back their fans, maybe this successful season will get those Sox fans off my back.

3 comments:

  1. I am a sox fan but , like you with hockey, I can appreciate other ball clubs. I would love to see Texas go all the way and bring home a championship. It sounds as if your Rangers are on track to making a playoff appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so :) They haven't made the playoffs since 1995, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baseball I know a bit better than hockey, although its been a lot of years since I actually watched a game. Now you have me thinking I have to start again. :)
    Good Blog, Hailey!
    AmandaLyn

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you checking out my blog. I try to respond to all comments :)